Benton's Old Fashioned
(by Don Lee, PDT, New York)
- 2 ounces bacon-infused Bourbon.
- 1/4 ounce grade-B maple syrup.
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters.
- Orange peel.
Combine with ice in a mixing glass, stir for no less than 30 seconds and strain into a chilled rocks glass over fresh ice. Express the orange oil from the peel over the glass, rub the rim with the peel and optionally garnish with the peel.
*For the bacon-infused bourbon:
- 750ml Bourbon (we used Buffalo Trace)
- 1 ounce bacon fat, strained, from Allan Benton's bacon or your own favorite bacon.
- Add the bacon fat to the bourbon in a wide-mouthed jar, shake or stir vigorously and allow to steep for four hours, shaking or stirring periodically. After it's infused for 4 hours place the jar in the freezer for two hours. Strain the bourbon through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the congealed fat.
** I LOVE the size of the ice cubes in this clip. Good ice is so hard to find in most bars and restaurants (mine included). You usually get those tiny ice cubes that melt far too quickly. I gots to get me one of these Kold Draft machines!