It's nice to see Agave Nectar available in the States now. So how DO you make a real Margarita? Variations abound, but here's my recipe:
- 1.5 to 2 oz. 100% Blue Agave Tequila (a nice Silver, like Partida)
- 3/4 oz. Fresh Pressed Lime Juice (NEVER use sweet and sour mix or margarita mix. NEVER!!!!! Bad things will happen if you do! That's right...people will appear at your front door and take you away)
- 3/4 oz. Agave Nectar. BevMo now carries Organic Agave Nectar (Partida brand, which I use at the bar), as do health food stores (Volcanic Agave Nectar, etc)
- 3/4 oz. Purified Water
Shake VERY hard for at least 30 seconds using a cocktail shaker. Strain into a glass over fresh ice if serving it on-the-rocks, or into a chilled cocktail glass if serving it "up". Garnish with an orange wedge and small lime wedge. Don't use salt on the rim...it deadens the taste buds. Since we're using a high-quality Tequila, Agave Nectar and fresh lime, we want to be able to actually taste the various flavors. Now keep in mind...this Rita is a far cry from those bright yellow or green things you get at places like TGI Fridays, Applebees, etc.
And here is a great recipe if you're not using the Agave Nectar. This is the recipe I proudly use at the Martini Monkey:
- 1.5 to 2 oz. Tequila (100% Blue Agave, Silver)
- 1 oz. Cointreau
- 3/4 oz. Fresh Lime
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 oz. Simple Syrup, if needed
Shake, strain, garnish with an orange wedge and small lime wedge.
Sip, savor and enjoy. CHEERS!