- 1.5 to 2.5 oz. Whiskey (I prefer 2 oz.)
- 1 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 to 1 oz. Sugar Syrup (I prefer 3/4 oz.)
- Shake vigorously for 20 seconds and then strain into an ice-filled glass*
- Garnish with a brandied cherry or twist of lemon or orange
* The Whiskey Sour was traditionally served "straight-up" in a Sours Glass...basically a stemmed, wide opening glass, much like a small version of the champagne flute. These days the Whiskey Sour (or Amaretto Sour, Tequila Sour, etc) is usually served "on-the-rocks" in a 9 to 12 ounce glass.
Most of our clientele at the bar prefer this drink with 2 ounces Whiskey, 1 ounce of Lemon, and 1 ounce sugar syrup. Play around with the above proportions and find a formula that works best for you.