Wednesday, December 8, 2010

South Camp Road Cocktail

This is Wilson's South Camp Road Cocktail, which originally appeared in Charles H. Baker's 1895 book Jigger, Beaker, and Glass: Drinking Around The World.  I must admit, it does not sound good.  This cocktail has a million ingredients, which I dislike.  It's a mix of ingredients that don't sound like they'd play well together.  Dislike.  It's a big cocktail with a lot of alcohol.  More dislike.  I've heard it referred to as "the Long Island Ice Tea of fine drinking."  Well that can't be good.  But I'm going to try it tonight and see how it tastes.  I'm also going to modify it a bit, cutting all the measurements in half and adjusting it some more for today's palate.

Why in the world am I going to make this?  Well, I happened to open Jigger, Beaker, and Glass this morning (it's a great book by the way), and I turned right to the page with this particular cocktail on it.  So I'm taking one for the team, and try it I will!  And I'll let you know the results. 

The original:

3 oz Gin
1/2 oz grand marnier (or orange curacao)
1oz lime juice
2 dashes aromatic bitters
2 dashes orange bitters
3oz dry vermouth
1/2oz pastis
1 egg white
1/2tsp grenadine
2tsp simple syrup
orange peel, for garnish
shake, strain into large cocktail glass
YIKES!

Here's my modified version:

1.5 oz. Gin
1 oz. dry French vermouth
1/4 oz. Grand Marnier
1/2 oz. Lime Juice
1/4 oz. grenadine
Dash of Tiki Bitters
Dash of Angostura Orange Bitters
Bar spoon of absinthe
egg white
Dry shake
Add ice
Shake again
Strain into a cocktail glass
Garnish with an orange peel

    No comments: