Yep...you read that right. Hot buttered rum batter made with the usual suspects (see below) PLUS pureed bananas; add some Zaya rum and hot water and presto: winter goodness! It's absolutely delicious. You're welcome. You may now return to the rest of your Sunday. Cheers!
Hot Banana Buttered Rum
- 1 pound light brown sugar
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons bourbon-vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 pureed bananas, depending on how much banana flavor you wish to impart
- 1-1/2 ounces Zaya rum
- 2 heaping tablespoons batter
- boiling hot water to fill
For the batter:Beat together the brown sugar, butter, spices and vanilla extract until well combined. Add the pureed bananas. Mix well. Refrigerate in an airtight resealable container until ready to use.
For Each drink: Combine 2 heaping tablespoons of the batter and the rum in a warmed coffee mug. Add boiling water to fill to the top, and mix well. Serve with a spoon and/or a long cinnamon stick.
*Note: This must be served steaming hot, not lukewarm. It is best to make the batter in advance so the spices have an opportunity to mingle. Be sure to remove the batter from the refrigerator at least 6 hours before serving to allow it to soften. The recipe for the batter makes enough for 10 to 12 servings; refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 month, or freeze for up to 2 months..