What? I'm posting a cocktail recipe that doesn't call for fresh vegetable purees, home-made fruit syrups or muddling fresh, local ingredients? What have you done with Jay? Haha! Well, I'm a big fan of simple, spirit-driven cocktails too. Some of my favorite cocktails to drink are well-made, creative drinks that call for a base spirit with just a couple of modifiers (check out the Broadway Riot, Aztec Aperitif, La Louisiane, or an Aviation cocktail.) These are some wonderful, spirit-driven, classic-style cocktails that I enjoy on a fairly regular basis and I think you should try them too!
Below, I've taken a basic theme and posted two variations...one with gin, one with scotch. Cheers!
Variations on a theme:
- .25 oz. Cointreau
- .5 oz. up to .75 oz. Zirbenz Stone Pine Liqueur
- 3 healthy dashes Burlesque Bitters
- Stir with ice in a mixing glass
- Strain into a rocks glass over 1 large, circular ice cube
- Garnish with a flamed grapefruit peel
- 2 oz. Scotch (Laphroaig 10 Year)
- .75 oz. Benedictine
- .25 oz. St. Liz Allspice Dram
- 3 Dashes Peychaud Bitters
- Stir well with ice in a mixing glass
- Strain into a rocks glass over one large, circular ice cube
- Garnish with a flamed Orange Peel