Saturday, September 24, 2011

Measuring Ingredients For Drinks

I've had a lot of people asking me what I use to accurately measure ingredients for cocktails.  Since a lot of the great classic cocktails I enjoy sipping (and making) call for ingredients in .25 ounce and .75 ounce measurements, and since many of the cocktails I create call for those same increments, I use this wonderful bar tool.




There are several different measuring tools on the market (as seen in the pic above), but I much prefer the ProJig by Uber Bar Tools.  It provides me with 1/4 oz, 3/4 oz, and 1 1/4 oz. measurements, while the Oxo measuring cups do not.   It's also easy to clean.   Stainless steel jiggers work well too, but you end up with 2 or 3 different jiggers on your bar top in order to cover all of the needed measurements. 

Why measure?  Creating balanced cocktails is more akin to baking than cooking.  A 1/4 oz. too much or too little of certain ingredients can make a huge difference in the cocktail, throwing the balance off.  Furthermore, it's very difficult in the accuracy department when free-pouring ingredients like syrups, purees, and heavier liqueurs.  Can free-pouring work in a craft cocktail bar?  Sure it can.  But I much prefer measuring.  And when done properly, it doesn't have to slow you down!

Cheers.

No comments: